This past summer I had the opportunity to go on a trip of a lifetime (literally) and I saw soooo many animals. We thought when we landed in Kenya that we were going to be really unlucky and only see pigeons and rats or something. Luckily we were wrong. We saw all of these animals, and then some.
GINGER COOKIES with LEMON GLAZE
4 3/4 c. flour
2 inches fresh ginger (substitute with 4 tsp. dried)
2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. cloves
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 c. shortening
2 c. sugar
1/2 c. molasses
2 c. powdered sugar
zest of 2 lemons
juice of 2 lemons
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. In large mixing bowl, combine flour, ginger, soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt. Set aside.
5. Press plastic wrap over the top of the dough (in the mixing bowl) and refrigerate at least 2 hours (or overnight).
6. Roll out dough (about a third at a time and leave the rest in the fridge) about 1/4" thick.
9. Whisk together ingredients for lemon glaze and pour into a shallow dish.
10. Dip the tops of the cookies into the glaze and place on a wire rack to allow any excess to drip off.