I don't really have a green thumb. That's not keeping me from trying. I planted zucchini, tomatoes, jalapeños, strawberries and herbs.
I guess that's what I get for trying to be self-sufficient.
I was pretty hesitant to eat beets. I thought they were going to taste like the miserable mushy things served in a little dish every Christmas at my grandma's house. Those were canned. Those were nothing like these!
1 tsp. Sugar
1 tsp. Salt
Salt & Pepper
1. Trim back roots and leaves of beets to about 1 inch.
2. Clean under cold water. Be careful so you don't cut through the skin and leave the skin on while they cook - this will keep the bright red color.
3. Add beets to a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Add sugar and 1 tsp. salt to water. Cover.
4. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Continue cooking for 45-60 minutes depending on the size.
5. Remove from heat. Drain and submerge them in cold water immediately. Cut of the roots and stems then the skins will peel of easily when you rub them between your hands.
6. Slice them and serve with butter, salt and pepper.