Friday, October 5, 2012
Filled German Chocolate Cupcakes
But this morning we woke up to snow covering the ground, so now officially we are nearing my "birthday season" and we can ignore all of his weird allergies, and I can make a pecan pie!
1 german chocolate cake mix (because I was lazy)
For the Filling:
1 c. sugar
1 c. evaporated milk
3 egg yolks
1/2 c. butter, cubed
1/8 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/4 c. pecans, finely chopped
1 1/2 c. sweetened shredded coconut
For the Frosting:
1 stick butter, at room temperature
3 c. powdered sugar
1/4 c. cocoa powder
1 tsp. vanilla
1-3 Tbsp. cream
1. Prepare cupcakes as directed on box.
2. In a medium saucepan, beat together egg yolks, sugar, and evaporated milk. Over medium heat, stir in butter, salt, and vanilla until thickened. Add pecans and coconut. Remove from heat and let cool.
3. In a medium mixing bowl beat butter, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla and salt. Add cream slowly until frosting reaches desired consistency. Taste test and check if you need more of any ingredient then adjust - this isn't an exact science :)
4. Once cupcakes and coconut filling are cooled, use a piping bag (without tip attached) and fill cupcakes by pressing the tip of the bag into the top of the cupcake and squeezing in filling until cupcakes look like they are going to burst apart.
*The coconut and pecans will clog the tip occasionally, so clear it out and start again.
5. Pipe or spread on chocolate frosting to cover up the hole where the coconut filling was piped in.