Monday, December 17, 2012
Mocha Meringue Bark
If you aren't finished shopping though and you need a last minute idea for that person that you don't know that well. Maybe a co-worker or a neighbor. Someone you feel like you should give a gift, but you've never actually had a conversation with him/her that lasted more than 5 minutes.
This is precisely where food gifts come into the picture. Food is always useful, always appreciated, and if homemade, it tells the person you care enough about them to spend time on them.
MOCHA MERINGUE BARk
Recipe from Claire Robinson
1/2 c. blanched slivered almonds, divided
1/4 c. + 1 tsp. sugar, divided
4 egg whites
1 Tbsp. instant coffee
1/3 c. mini chocolate chips
1. In a food processor, blend 1/4 c. of the almonds and 1 tsp. sugar until forms the consistency of cornmeal. Set aside.
2. Finely chop the remaining almonds. Set aside.
3. Beat egg whites until very soft peaks have formed. In a small bowl, combine remaining sugar and coffee. Gradually add sugar/coffee mixture to egg whites and beat until stiff peaks form (do not overbeat). Gently fold in almond flour.
4. Line a rimmed cookie sheet with parchment paper. Spread meringue onto cookie sheet. Sprinkle with remaining almonds and chocolate chips.
5. Bake at 250˚ for 1 hour. Turn off oven and leave meringues in oven overnight. Break into pieces.