Wednesday, September 18, 2013
Perfect Pie Crust
Pie is really easy to make. You don't have to worry about it falling or rising too much. You don't usually have to sift ingredients. You don't have to put batch after batch into the oven. So, it seems pretty clear that pie is just about the easiest thing you can bake.
Now, after finally perfecting this pie crust recipe, I don't have to feel so embarrassed!
So now pie can be easy and 100% homemade!
PERFECT PIE CRUST
3 c. flour
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 c. cold butter, cubed
1/3 c. cold water + 2-3 Tbsp. if needed
1 tsp. distilled white vinegar
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt.
2. Using a pastry cutter, add in butter until you have coarse crumbles.
3. With a fork, beat together egg, 1/3 c. cold water and vinegar. Mix the egg mixture into the flour mixture using your hands. If you need to, add a little of the extra cold water. Do not over-mix - this will create a tough, chewy crust.
4. On a lightly floured surface, divide the dough into 2 rounds. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 1 hour, or freeze for up to 3 weeks.
5. When you're ready to use the dough, roll it out on a lightly floured surface. Follow the instructions in the pie recipe for cooking directions.