Monday, January 27, 2014
Strawberry Banana Bread
Now, the skiers can come back and complain about the snow conditions again. On second thought, maybe the Sundancers weren't so bad.
Banana bread takes about an hour to make. An hour that until today, I just didn't have.
This banana bread gets a little nutty flavor (without actual nuts) from the browned butter. Sweetness from the strawberries and brown sugar, and prettiness from the sliced berries on top. It's a good one to add to your quick bread rotation...for when you have an extra hour in your day.
STRAWBERRY BANANA BREAD
Recipe from Joy the Baker
6 Tbsp. butter
2 c. flour
3/4 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 c. buttermilk
3 medium overripe bananas, mashed
1/2 c. diced strawberries, plus a couple sliced for the top
1. Brown the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Watch carefully so it does not burn. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
2. Combine dry ingredients, set aside.
3. Beat together eggs, vanilla, buttermilk, cooled butter, and bananas.
4. Stir dry ingredients into the banana mixture. Stir in strawberries. Pour into a greased and floured loaf pan. Top with strawberry slices.
5. Bake at 350˚ for 55-65 minutes. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.