Wednesday, February 5, 2014
Frosted Mocha Drops
Well, I didn't. Until the day that I did.
One day I was flipping through my Better Homes & Gardens cookbook (the checkered one that everyone has), and I found the exact. same. recipe. It's not a secret. It's not even all that special (besides in flavor). And learning about this little bit of deception made me really wonder which other recipes "from Grandma Flinn" were really just taken out of a cookbook or a newspaper clipping.
FROSTED MOCHA DROPS
Recipe from Grandma Flinn a.k.a. Better Homes & Gardens
1/2 c. butter
2 oz. unsweetened chocolate
1 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. buttermilk
1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. chopped pecans (or walnuts)
For the Mocha Frosting:
1/4 c. butter
2 Tbsp. cocoa powder
2 tsp. instant coffee
2 1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
~3 Tbsp. milk (+/- for right consistency)
1. Melt shortening and unsweetened chocolate in a medium saucepan. Cool for 10 minutes.
2. Stir brown sugar into the chocolate. Beat in egg, vanilla, and buttermilk.
3. Sift together dry ingredients and add to chocolate. Stir in nuts and chocolate chips.
4. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 375˚ for 10 minutes.
5. While cookies are baking, prepare frosting. Beat together butter, cocoa powder, instant coffee and salt. Add powdered sugar, vanilla and enough milk for spreading consistency.
6. After cookies have cooled, frost with the mocha frosting.