Monday, June 9, 2014
Technically, it's not summer yet, but it feels like it, and it looks like it, and it even smells like summer so I think we'll just call it.
Maybe it's just me, but I think shortcake can serve a bigger purpose. It could actually taste good too! It could be moist even! And this recipe is just that: delicious and moist. Fluffy and just a little bit vanilla-y. It'll make you crave warm summer nights even more than you already do.
STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE (serves 8)
1/4 c. sugar
2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 c. butter
1 egg, beaten
2/3 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
2 lb. fresh strawberries, sliced
2 c. heavy whipping cream
1/2 c. +/- sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together sugar, flour and baking powder. Cut in butter until it resembles coarse crumbles.
2. Beat together egg, milk and vanilla then stir into dry mixture just until combined. The batter will be a little lumpy and a little sticky but go with it. Spread into a greased 9 inch round cake pan.
3. Bake cake at 450˚ for 12-16 minutes or until golden brown.
4. In the meantime, prepare your strawberries by hulling them and slicing them. I sprinkle them with a little bit of granulated sugar to help bring the juices out.
5. Also, while the cake is baking, prepare your whipped cream. In a large mixing bowl, beat whipping cream until thickened. Add vanilla and sugar and beat about 30 seconds more or until it reaches the desired consistency.
6. Layer a slice of cake with strawberries and whipped cream and eat!