Wednesday, September 17, 2014
It's basically the opposite of Frog Eye Salad which is not a salad, nor does it have frog eyes in it.
It's good in only the way that Midwestern food can be. There are no claims that it's good for you or low-fat. And, for good measure, it's made in a casserole dish.
So, 'Cherry Dessert' it is!
For the crust:
1/4 lb. butter
1/2 c. sugar
20 graham cracker halves, made into crumbs
8 oz. cream cheese
1 c. powdered sugar
1 envelope Dream Whip
1 can cherries
1. Melt butter in a medium mixing bowl. Mix in sugar and graham cracker crumbs. Press into the bottom of a casserole dish. Bake at 325˚ for 8-10 minutes. Set aside.
2. While crust is cooking, beat together cream cheese and powdered sugar until well-combined.
3. Also, as the crust is cooking, prepare Dream Whip according to package instructions.
4. When the crust is still warm (not hot), spread cream cheese gently over the crust so it doesn't tear.
5. Drop in large dollops, the Dream Whip on top of the cream cheese layer then gently push around with a spatula and spread evenly.
6. For the cherry layer, repeat the same method of dropping spoonfuls around the dessert then gently spread outward to keep the layers from mixing together too much.