Wednesday, December 3, 2014
Butternut Squash Kale Gnocchi
They're stainless and if you scratch them with a fork, you won't die form the Teflon.
I guess some of his enthusiasm for 'his' pans has rubbed off, because now, I love it when I can make a whole meal in the cast-iron skillet (although this meal will work in any oven safe skillet).
Plus, one pan to clean up! It can't get better than that!
BUTTERNUT SQUASH KALE GNOCCHI
1/2 medium butternut squash
4 Tbsp. butter, divided
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. fresh sage, chopped
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 1/4 c. chicken broth (substitute vegetable broth or water to make it vegetarian-friendly)
1 bunch kale, stemmed and chopped
17.5 oz. gnocchi
3/4 c. grated parmesan, divided
1. Peel and seed your butternut squash then cut into 1/2 inch pieces.
2. Melt 2 Tbsp. butter in a large, oven-safe skillet. Add the squash and cook until soft (about 8 minutes). Add garlic, sage, red pepper flakes and salt. Cook until garlic is tender.
3. Preheat broiler (high).
4. Add broth (or water) to the skillet and bring to a simmer. Stir in the kale and cook for about 2 minutes - the kale will start to wilt.
5. Stir in the gnocchi, cover and cook 5 minutes, or until the gnocchi are tender. Uncover, melt in 1/4 c. of the parmesan cheese and the remaining 2 Tbsp. butter.
6. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 c. parmesan cheese over the top and set under the broiler until bubbly and the cheese is golden.